After getting fired from her advertising job, Melissa Ben-Ishay went home and baked some cupcakes (her go-to daily staple). Turns out this was the BEST action step she could have taken. Today, Baked by Melissa, the New York City-based brand is famous for its signature, bite-size cupcakes and treats that are only 50 calories each!
Passionate about baking since childhood with the idea that people should taste a cupcake “guilt free,” she decided to do what she loved and launched Baked by Melissa in 2008.
She’s absolutely hilarious and what I love most is her complete transparency.
You can Subscribe and Listen to the Podcast on Apple Podcasts. And be sure to leave me a Rating and Review!
You can do anything and anyone who tells you otherwise is small.” – Melissa Ben-Ishay
- HOW she started out in her apartment
- How she prepared for her first BIG moment with a well-known Caterer in NY
- The moment she knew she was on to something
- Her ‘Disruption’ moment – what gave her the “advantage”
- The MOST important mindset a woman entrepreneur with a family can have
- How she went from her apartment to 14 stores sprinkled around NYC
- Why it was hard to RELINQUISH CONTROL in her business
- The great advice that Melissa’s Dad gave her when things got hard
- Why starting and ending her day with her family is a PRIORITY
- What she did on days when she felt like a fraud
- What she sees as the essential ingredient in a startup business
- Her biggest challenge and how she handles it
- How and why YOU CAN DO ANYTHING
There is actually a very, very specific attitude that built this company, which is seeing challenges as opportunities to learn and grow.” – Melissa Ben-Ishay
Connect with Melissa Ben-Ishay:
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Baked by Melissa
You have to kind of embody the person you want to be.” – Melissa Ben-Ishay